Advanced Function in Upright Postures
May 28-June 01 2018
Waleed Al-Oboudi MOT, OTR Originator of the Neuro-IFRAH® Approach
This two or three day intermediate level course is specifically designed for occupational therapists who work with patients affected by stroke or brain injury. Licensed occupational therapy assistants, physical therapists and licensed physical therapy assistants require special permission for acceptance. This course covers the development and reacquisition of functional control in upright postures for patients at various levels of function. Special emphasis will be placed on ascending and descending stairs, squatting, kneeling, stooping, transitions to and from the floor, climbing and various labs designed to increase mobility and dynamic control throughout the body. Information will be shared by lecture, lab and possibly using video or other visual aids.
*Completion of the Neuro-IFRAH course Asssessment and Management of Functional Gait is a requirement prior to taking this course.
Upon completion of this course, participants will be able to:
1. Identify missing components of movement interfering with function in upright postures in various conditions of observation.
2. Identify steps for grading stairs, ascending and descending, squatting, kneeling, stooping, transitions to and from the floor and climbing for patients at various levels of function.
3. Identify progressions for developing mobility and control throughout the body.
4. Identify progressions for running, jumping, skipping and development of whole body coordination as well as coordination of movements with other systems.
5. Apply handling techniques on other course participants and patients.
6. Identify considerations for providing home programs, modification of the environment and achieving carry over.
7. Design and provide a home program to ensure effective carry over and integration in patients daily activities and roles.
Upon successful completion of the course, participants will be Neuro-IFRAH Trained®.
Recommended Reading: “Back to the Summit” by Sen. Omer Rains
(Sponsor reserves the right to cancel course for unforeseen reasons), cancellation policy: No refunds if applicants cancel less than 45 days prior to the course. Full refund of tuition paid if the course is cancelled by the sponsor for unforeseen reasons. Final decision on course status will be made 35-40 days prior to the start date of any course.