This two or three day course is specifically designed for occupational therapists who work with patients affected by stroke or brain injury. Licensed occupational therapy assistants, physical therapists and licensed physical therapy assistants require special permission for acceptance.. This course will cover topics related to upper extremity management with emphasis on resolving shoulder impairments and recovering function. Information will be shared by lecture, lab and possibly using video & other visual aids.
Upon completion of the course participants will be able to:
1. Identify principles of management handling guidelines and concepts related to the challenge of maximizing functional outcomes as related to upper extremity function.
2. Identify basic components of normal movements as related to upper extremity function.
3. Identify characteristics of upper extremity use and upper extremity components of normal movement.
4. Differentiate between normal and abnormal upper extremity movement in functional activities.
5. Identify the missing components of movement that are interfering with the patient’s ability to function at a higher level.
6. Identify handling techniques to help patients attain the missing upper extremity components of movement that are interfering with functioning at a higher level.
7. Identify handling techniques to resolve mobility problems and pain.
8. Integrate concepts related to normal movement, principles of management, general areas of function and handling techniques as related to the upper extremity in ADLs.
Upon successful completion of the course, participants will be Neuro-IFRAH Trained®.
Recommended Reading: “Back to the Summit” by Sen. Omer Rains
(Sponsor reserves the right to cancel course for unforeseen reasons), cancellation policy: No refunds if applicants cancel less than 45 days prior to the course. Full refund of tuition paid if the course is cancelled by the sponsor for unforeseen reasons. Final decision on course status will be made 35-40 days prior to the start date of any course.